Main Menu

RES On The Map

Reformed Episcopal Seminary
826 Second Avenue
Blue Bell PA, 19422
Driving Directions
[for GPS use '2nd Ave']


t (610) 292-9852
f (610) 292-9853

registrar@reseminary.edu
admissions@reseminary.edu

Login

Username:

Password:


Lost Password?

Reformed Episcopal Seminary

Heritage and Purpose



The Reformed Episcopal Seminary continues a tradition that began in 1887, when it was founded as The Theological Seminary of the Reformed Episcopal Church.

The Reformed Episcopal Church was established in 1873 by evangelical Episcopalians in response to developments in the Protestant Episcopal Church of that day. By 1877, the necessity of providing formal theological education for future Reformed Episcopal clergy led to a number of experiments in providing ministry training.

On March 6,1886 Harriet S. Benson, a Philadelphia Reformed Episcopalian, proposed to create a trust to build and administer a denominational seminary and a massive new church in West Philadelphia. Miss Benson's trust was unanimously received by the General Council of the Reformed Episcopal Church. The corner?stone of the Seminary building was laid in October 1886, and the Seminary was opened for its first classes in September 1887.

Throughout its fruitful history, the Reformed Episcopal Seminary has distinguished itself as

Evangelical, proclaiming Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord;

Catholic, affirming the faith of the apostles as expressed through the early creeds and liturgy;

Reformed, holding the English Reformation doctrines of the primacy of Scripture and justification by grace through faith;

Ecumenical, welcoming students from a variety of church groups and backgrounds;

Episcopal, adhering to the three-fold ordained ministry of deacons, presbyters and bishops as received through the Church of England..

Printer Friendly Page Send this Story to a Friend